According to the Festival's website, they claim the following list of values:
- Literacy is the key to all knowledge
- Literature is a unique and exciting mode of cross-cultural communication
- Imagination, innovation, and talent should be nurtured
- Education should be universal, stimulating and relevant
- A wider awareness of Arabic language and culture will contribute to the future development of the region
Several other authors are now reconsidering their participation in the light of the censorship.