11 February 2008

Message from Bert Tatham

Bert Tatham is the Canadian who was detained in Dubai last year for drug possession. Here is a message he wrote on his web site: http://freebert.ca/

Bert Tatham
January 28th, 2008 at 4:32 pm
Hello My Fellow FreeBert’ers!
It is I, Bert Tatham. I have been free now for about a month, and and have been keeping a very low profile - other than to chat on Nat’l radio(!) . I did not read a single piece of news about my case because I didn’t think it was healthy to read a lot of press about yourself, especially when you are feeling fragile.
In fact, this is the first time that I have even visited this site (thanks Jeremy) and I am humbled and gratified by all the warm sentiments I found here, beyond words. I would like to thank you all for your concern and countless efforts to secure my release.
For those of my friends that have not yet heard from me, please be patient; I’m just starting to come out of my shell!
I thought you might all be interested to read my experiences and thoughts on why I was not released when I should have been, in last September’s Ramadan Pardon… A little scoop for you all if you haven’t already heard it..
On August 1st, 2007, I and my entire cellblock were systematically beaten and terrorised by riot police with batons and guard dogs for absolutely no reason. What an experience. The results were numerous inmates injured (broken ribs, ankles, and one case of a broken back), and virtually all living in a state of fear of the riot squad’s return, which was promised by the acting warden at the time. I was also told by several ‘lifers’ that this was a regualr occurence in the Dubai Prison System, and that usually the results were much worse. I was also told that complaints from Arab inmates about this treatment always fall on deaf ears…
I felt morally obliated to do something towards not having this abuse occur again. I recounted the entire incident in writing, and had it smuggled out of the prison by a friend, and it was distributed to the Canadian Consulate, several European consulates, the Canadian Dept. of Foreign Affairs, and my family.
Several weeks later I was interviewed by the Dubai Police “Human Rights” personnel concerning this incident retold the story. I waited in line with dozen of other prisoners (all Arab or Persian) and watched virtually all of them justifiably lose their nerve and deny to the investigators that the event had taken place. This only made me feel more responsible to use my priviledged position as a Canadian to fight this abuse.
Two weeks later, I testified under oath to the Attorney General’s office on the events that occurred on August 1st.
In the time between these two interviews, I was called in to the Warden’s office and harrassed for over an hour about what I told the HR investigators. My only response was that it was none of his business and he should know better than to be asking. He threatened that he could make my life even more difficult, and ‘extend my stay’ if I did not cease and desist.
When the News of our release came during Ramadan, I was partially ‘processed out’ (Passport located, bagage collected, etc.) before the Warden sent a note to me via his deputy that I would not be released. Despite this special treatment, the Dubai Police, Prosecutor’s office, and Ministry of Foreign Affairs all denied that I was being ’singled out’. Ludicrous subterfuge by all the powers involved then ensued….
All prisoners in the entire system with the same charges as mine were released over the next couple of weeks. It is clear that I was singled out for my actions in fighting prisoner abuse. I firmly believe that my government was fully aware of this corrupt behavior as well, but drew lines that it would not cross to secure my release from this hostage situation.
Ultimately, the Warden and 20 guards were jailed (very briefly) and deported. The beatings did not occur again. I do not regret my actions at all. I do regret the impact that it had on my loved ones by extending my stay, and I do regret the anemic response displayed by my government (lots of diplomatic activity, none of it meaningful) to rectify the situation.
My thoughts on Dubai: I’ve been through there no less than nine times, and I have never liked the place. It has always seemed to me to be a place where image rules with an iron fist over reality. The press is a joke and is nothing more than a “Sheik Maktoum Fan Club” newsletter. It touts itself as a centre for global high finance and tourism, yet it is a notorious hub for both terrorism funding and drug money laundering, and lucky tourists can be arrested for taking a photo on the beaches when not in their lodgings being harrassed by hundreds of smuggled prostitutes. I could go on at great length, but that would be sour grapes…
But I’m home, safe, and healthy. I can’t say I am ‘over it’ by any stretch, but it could be much worse.
Next time I’ll be a little more careful packing.
I am still considering a longer story for whoever is willing to publish it, but I always return to the question of “what would I be trying to get out of it?”. The reason for being ensnared in all this was my own carelessness and I have caused my loved ones great suffering, so maybe I should not aim to capitalise on the experience.
I will be based in Vancouver again, and have a lot of work to do in re-establishing contact with numerous friends and colleagues, recovering money still owed to me for last year’s work, and getting my career back on track. Something tells me it might not involve Counternarcotics work in Kandahar, though I do miss Afghanistan very much…
OK I am rambling. Thanks so very much again for all your kind words and efforts. I wish you all the very best for 2008.
Much Love,
Bert

No comments: